photo credit: Google images screenshot
Right about now you are probably asking, “What is in this for me?”
Well, there are a number of benefits that make this learning course relevant to you. First, a few questions:
- Do you often wish your students were more engaged in their studies and your class?
- Do you ever feel that teaching has become routine and monotonous?
- Are you curious about mobile learning technology but do not understand why the University is promoting it and why many instructors have already begun to integrate it into their teaching?
- Are you curious about mobile learning technology but do not know how to get started, or perhaps do more if you have already started?
- Would you like to upgrade your professional skills and qualifications vis-à-vis technology?
If you answered yes to at least one of the above questions, then this course is for you!
In this course you will
- Understand five mobile learning best practices
- Evaluate five mobile learning best practices vis-à-vis your own classroom practice
- Evaluate five mobile learning best practices vis-à-vis your own professional goals
- Create digital artifacts that represent your understanding and evaluation
In 2012 mobile learning was designated as a major initiative at public universities across the UAE. Importantly, this mobile learning initiative is underpinned by expectations that educators deploy mobile learning in a manner consistent with 21st-century learning environments, where there is an emphasis on active, student-centered learning as reflected in mission statements like that of the Zayed University Learning Outcomes, where there is a deliberate intent to foster skills such as critical thinking, global awareness, leadership, information and technological literacy. Consequently, instructors at English-medium universities such as Zayed University need to develop the ability to effectively integrate mobile learning into classroom practice.
The title of this online course is "Mobile Learning Best Practices: An Online Course". The purpose is to offer educators at Zayed University information and interacton with models of mobile learning best practice, with the aim that participants not only learn about these practices, but also adopt and apply that learning in the classroom. This onlline course consists of a dedicated learner website with six self-access modules to be run during a six-week instructional period. Learners will have the opportunity to work independently and asynchronously on each module following an instructor-led schedule.
The modules are: 21st Century Learning, Bloom's Taxonomy, iPad Workflow, Flipped Learning, Challenge Based Learning and 'Putting it All Together'. In each module learners are asked to watch videos and read Web-based content related to a particular best practice. The modules also provide opportunity for learners to check understanding, evaluate learning vis-à-vis practice and share ideas with peers. The final module, Putting it All Together, requires learners to produce a multimedia artifact that demonstrates understanding and evaluation of the first five modules.