This page will have the teacher understand the purpose, objectives, and learner characteristics of the Personal Budget WebQuest.
The purpose of this WebQuest is to help students understand the importance of education, the importance of budgeting, and the importance of staying out of debt.
Every student in the classroom will be faced with financial choices. Many students will not be taught the life skill of budgeting by their parent/guardian. This will give them a foundation of budgeting money.
This WebQuest is designed for high school students or college students taking a personal finance class.
It is assumed that the students have access to and can use the internet and word processing programs.
After completing this WebQuest the learned will be able to
- create a monthly budget;
- understand the cost of monthly expenses;
- be aware of how important an education is to help them earn more money;
- be able to understand the importance of what they will be able to afford in life.
The State of Idaho does not have Standards outlined for classes outside core learning. The information in the WebQuest would help a teacher that is teaching accounting, personal finance, or a life skills class.
Subject Matter Description
This WebQuest follows the model developed by Bernie Dodge and Tom Marchmodel. It contains the following sections for learners:
- Introduction: This section provides an overview to help learners to become familiar with the topic.
- Task: The task to be completed is described in this section. The student understands the amount of money earned each month and what fixed and discretionary expenses they are required to use it for in their budget.
- Process: The list of steps to follow are provided. Learners will synthesize information found in a series of articles and videos. A discussion forum will be used to talk about the problems, issues, and consequences of blogging discovered in the articles and videos. The discussion is held online for one week. After the discussion week learners will work individually to write a policy brief that is suitable for their own school or workplace.
- Evaluation: A rubric is provided to allow learners to self-score their projects. This same rubric will be used by the instructor to assign a grade for work completed in the Peronal Budget WebQuest.
- Conclusion: This section is used to prompt the learner to think about what they have discovered during the WebQuest. The student's discoveries and work will be assembled for submittal.
Students will create a budget that will allow them to understand the concept of money. This budget will be assessed with the rubric located in the evaluation section of the WebQuest.